- How Do I...
- Find More Info On...
- Local Elections
ELECTION DATE: August 25, 2020
TIME: 7am - 7pm
POLL LOCATION: Chelsea City Hall
Council Place Number 3 has two individuals that have qualified: Christopher J. Grace and Chris Thomas. This is the only race that will appear on the August 25, 2020 ballot for voters to select. Click HERE to view the sample ballot. The following candidates were unopposed and were issued a Certificate of Election at the August 4, 2020 City Council meeting:
- Mayor – Tony Picklesimer
- Council Place Number 1 – Cody Sumners
- Council Place Number 2 – Scott Weygand
- Council Place Number 4 – Tiffany Bittner
- Council Place Number 5 – Casey Morris
Make sure your vote counts on August 25th! The right to vote is fundamental to our representative democracy and critical to our success as a City.
Precautions are being taken for COVID-19 (social distancing, sanitizer, masks, etc.); however, some voters may prefer to vote via absentee ballot.
Absentee ballots may be obtained by any voter who has resided in the City in excess of 30 days from the election and who has registered to vote at that address with the applicable Shelby County Board of Registrars. In order to obtain an absentee ballot, a voter must submit an application along with a copy of a valid ID. The only exception to the photo ID is if the voter checks the box “I have a physical illness or infirmity which prevents my attendance at the polls and am over the age of 65.” If a voter checks this box, no identification is required. Be sure to check the correct box!
An Application may be obtained by visiting or calling the City Clerk at 205-678-8455 or by downloading from the www.cityofchelsea.com. Once the voter receives the ballot, the voter should follow the directions to complete and submit back to the City Clerk.
- All absentee applications shall be submitted to the City via USPS mail or common carrier and limited to only one application per envelope.
- DO NOT send multiple applications in the same envelope. A voter may drop off his/her application; however, another person cannot drop off the application on behalf of another voter regardless of whether or not he/she is a family member.
- Applications for an absentee ballot must be received in the Office of the Absentee Manager no later than close of business (4:00 PM central time) August 20, 2020.
- If something unforeseen happens between August 20 and August 24, 2020 that prevents a voter from voting, he/she might can apply for an “emergency absentee ballot”. If information on this is needed, please contact the Crystal Etheredge, Absentee Election Manager, at 205-678-8455, Ext. 3.
- Absentee ballots that are returned fully executed must contain a notarize or witnessed signature and affidavit must be completed.
- Absentee ballots must be returned to the City via USPS mail or common carrier (UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.).
- Ballots must be received by the Absentee Manager prior to noon on August 25, 2020.
- Any questions regarding Absentee voting should be directed to Crystal Etheredge at email@example.com or 205-678-8455, Ext 3.
The absentee ballot comes with three envelopes
(1) one plain (the secrecy envelope)
(2) one with an affidavit, or oath, printed on the outside
(3) one plain envelope, preaddressed (the outer envelope).
Once the voter casts the ballot, the procedure is as follows:
- Seal the ballot in the plain envelope
- Place the plain envelope inside the accompanying affidavit envelope
- Seal the affidavit envelope and complete the affidavit that is on the outside of the envelope
- Sign the affidavit and have the signature witnessed by either a notary public or two witnesses 18 years of age or older
WITNESSES OR NOTARIZATION
An absentee ballot cannot be counted unless the affidavit is notarized or has the signatures of two witnesses.
Need to register to vote or update your registration information? Visit https://www.sos.alabama.gov/alabama-votes/voter/register-to-vote to download or submit a State of Alabama Mail-In Voter Registration Form. Got questions? Find your County Board of Registrars contact info at https://www.sos.alabama.gov/alabama-votes/board-of-registrars-all-counties.